Department of Orthopaedics
The Department of Orthopaedics at AIIMS Guwahati is committed to providing the highest level of care for patients with musculoskeletal disorders. Our team of orthopaedic surgeons, nurses, and technicians is dedicated to providing personalized and comprehensive care for patients and offers a full range of diagnostic and treatment options for musculoskeletal conditions, including arthritis, fractures, sprains, strains, joint replacements, and sports injuries. We utilize advanced imaging technologies to accurately diagnose conditions, and we offer a variety of treatment options, from non-invasive therapies to complex surgical procedures.
Our team of orthopaedic surgeons is highly trained and experienced in the latest surgical techniques, including minimally invasive procedures that offer faster recovery times and fewer complications. In addition to patient care, our department is actively involved in research and education. We work with other departments and institutes to promote musculoskeletal health and prevent injuries through education and outreach programs.
- To become a leading centre of excellence in the field of orthopaedics, providing state-of-the-art treatment and care to patients.
- To be recognized nationally and internationally for our commitment to innovative research and education in the field of orthopaedics.
- To provide comprehensive, high-quality care for patients with musculoskeletal disorders, utilizing the latest diagnostic and treatment technologies.
- To train and educate the next generation of orthopaedic surgeons and medical professionals, fostering a culture of learning and continuous improvement.
- To engage in research activities that advance our understanding of musculoskeletal disorders and contribute to the development of new treatment modalities.
- To promote community outreach and engagement, working to improve the overall health and well-being of our patients and the broader community.
Overall, the vision and mission of the department is to promote excellence in patient care, education, research, and community service, while fostering a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Trauma care: The department provides care for patients who have experienced traumatic injuries, such as fractures, dislocations, and soft tissue injuries. This may involve immediate treatment in the emergency department, followed by surgical intervention or ongoing rehabilitation.
- Joint replacement surgery: The department performs joint replacement surgery, including total knee replacement, total hip replacement, and shoulder replacement, to improve joint function and reduce pain.
- Sports medicine: The department provides care for patients with sports-related injuries, including diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation.
- Pediatric orthopaedics: The department provides specialized care for children with orthopaedic conditions, such as scoliosis, developmental hip dysplasia, and clubfoot.
- Hand surgery: The department provides care for patients with hand and wrist injuries or conditions, including carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, and fractures.
- Bone health: The department provides care for patients with osteoporosis, a condition that weakens bones and increases the risk of fracture.
The Department of Orthopaedics is constantly evolving to provide the best possible care to patients. Here are some of the upcoming services that may be provided by the department:
- Regenerative medicine
- Sub speciality clinics
- Minimally invasive and robotics-assisted surgery
- Personalised medicine and patient-centred care.