Dr. Chitra Sarkar did her MBBS from Bangalore Medical College and MD (Pathology) from AIIMS, New Delhi. Dr. Chitra Sarkar trained in Neuropathology in UK and joined AIIMS, New Delhi as Faculty in 1986. Dr. Chitra Sarkar received her Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists (FRCP), London in 2008.
Dr. Chitra Sarkar is academically and professionally highly accomplished with more than 40 years of experience in service, teaching and research. Dr. Chitra Sarkar is a nationally and internationally renowned Pathologist with pioneering contributions in the challenging area of Neuropathology with special focus on Neuro-Oncopathology and Molecular Oncopathology. Dr. Chitra Sarkar combines an exceptional mix of skills of an astute clinician, a gifted teacher and educationist, and an accomplished clinician-scientist of high caliber. Dr. Chitra Sarkar is included as one of the 100 distinguished "Women in Science in India" published by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru and one of the three pioneer "Women in Neurosciences in India" published by Neurology India 2019. Her excellent achievements have placed India in the global map of both Pathology and Neurosciences.
Dr. Chitra Sarkar has published more than 400 research papers in peer reviewed national and international journals (>11000 Citations with h index 53) and 34 Chapters in Books. Dr. Chitra Sarkar has also Editor of a book in Neuropathology entitled "Essentials of Diagnostic Surgical Neuropathology". Dr. Chitra Sarkar is involved in the international classification systems of the World Health Organization and has co-authored chapters in the WHO Classification of CNS Tumors, WHO classification of Pediatric Tumors and WHO classification of Endocrine and Neuro-Endocrine Tumors. Dr. Chitra Sarkar is the only member from India included by International Society of Neuropathology in the recently formulated CIMPACT-NOW [the Consortium to Inform Molecular and Practical Approaches to CNS Tumor Taxonomy], which is an international initiative to synchronize brain tumor classification with many recent discoveries.
Dr. Chitra Sarkar is a recipient of several awards, honours and orations:
1. Fellowship of all Indian Science Academies - Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad, Indian College of Pathologists, National Academy of Medical Sciences, and Indian National Science Academy.
2. National Women Bioscientist award (senior category) of Department of Biotechnology.
3. J.C. Bose National Fellowship of Department of Science & Technology.
4. Delhi Neurological Association Lifetime Achievement Award.
5. ICMR International Fellowship for Senior Scientist.
6. ICMR "Novartis Oration Award" for Research in the field of Cancer.
7. National Academy of Medical Sciences Sir Shriram Memorial Oration.
8. Neurological Society of India PN Tandon Oration.
9. National Brain Research Centre Ramamurthi Oration.
10. Research Fellowship under the International Exchange Programme of the Royal Society of London and Indian National Science Academy.
11. AIIMS Certificate of Excellence.
12. Herbert Krause Gold Medal by the Neurological Society of India.
13. Selected as one of the women scientists for the documentary on "Indian Women Scientists" CSIR-NISCAIR in collaboration with Vigyan Prasar, Govt. of India.
14. Selected for the documentary “Eureka” CSIR-NISCAIR, Govt. of India.
Dr. Chitra Sarkar is Chairperson/Member of several expert committees/research advisory committees/review boards of ICMR, DBT, DST, CSIR etc. Dr. Chitra Sarkar is a Member of Scientific Advisory Committee of various research institutes, Member of Governing Body of Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, and Council Member of Indian National Science Academy. Dr. Chitra Sarkar has been a Member of Governing Body and Institute Body of SCTIMST, Trivandrum, and Council Member of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru. Dr. Chitra Sarkar has delivered more than 400 invited lectures including guest lectures and keynote addresses in various national and international conferences. Dr. Chitra Sarkar has also been the Principal Investigator of several funded research projects and reviewer/editorial board member of several national and international journals of repute.
Dr. Chitra Sarkar has been office bearer of several national and international societies. Dr. Chitra Sarkar has held positions of Vice President of International Society of Neuropathology, and Executive Member of Asian Society of Neuropathology [only member from India to hold these prestigious positions till date]. Dr. Chitra Sarkar is the Founding member of Indian Society of Neuro-Oncology and Neuropathology Society of India, President Elect of Neuropathology Society of India, and Former President, Indian Society of Neuro-Oncology.